Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. -Colossians 3:16
Most Christians have probably heard and agree that worship is more than just singing, but still, singing is worship and an important element of it. According to Scripture, it may even be an indispensable.
Here's an interesting blog post on the subject by experienced author, songwriter, and worship leader Bob Kauflin: worshipmatters.com
Personally, I feel like the push back we currently see toward singing in worship gatherings has more to do with detached, performance-oriented, attractional format that's become so prevalent rather than the actual singing itself. There may be legitimate concerns and issues with the way singing is done in many churches, but that is certainly no reason to revolt against worship through song all together.
As Bob points out, singing has many valuable traits including expressing emotions, contributing to unity, proclamation, and serving as a memory aid. Furthermore, Scripture often encourages and even commands us sing.
Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name;
make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him, sing praises to him;
tell of all his wondrous works!
-1 Chronicles 16:8-9
Keep singing! (or get started.)
-RSL
P.S. Here are some more great thoughts on congregational singing from Kevin DeYoung on The Gospel Coalition's website. I particularly appreciate his comments on the necessity of love behind our music:
"I imagine the Apostle Paul, if he were writing to the church today, might have something to say about our worship style. 'If I sing in style of the hippest music, but have not love, I am only a banging drum or a strumming guitar. If I have a gift for reading music and enjoy the richest hymns, but have not love, I am nothing. If I am discerning of excellent music and fine poetry, but have not love, I gain nothing.' "
P.S. Here are some more great thoughts on congregational singing from Kevin DeYoung on The Gospel Coalition's website. I particularly appreciate his comments on the necessity of love behind our music:
"I imagine the Apostle Paul, if he were writing to the church today, might have something to say about our worship style. 'If I sing in style of the hippest music, but have not love, I am only a banging drum or a strumming guitar. If I have a gift for reading music and enjoy the richest hymns, but have not love, I am nothing. If I am discerning of excellent music and fine poetry, but have not love, I gain nothing.' "
No comments:
Post a Comment