Back in the US. Things are slow. At least, for a couple of weeks. I'm getting some rest and catching up with family members. I've enjoyed watching some movies I've missed and eating some great American food again. I went to the theatre today and was bit surprised at the $5.25 I paid for a "medium" coke that was as big as my head.
It's strange to hear English everywhere again. I can understand French, but it still takes a lot of concentration. I just got used to not understanding anyone around me when I was in a store or walking down the street. Now, when I'm in public, it surprises me almost every time I overhear someone speaking English. I either think they're talking to me or I somehow feel like I'm eavesdropping.
Other than those few small things, I think I'm re-adjusting fine. Everything seems so familiar, just how I left it, in a way it doesn't feel like any time has passed. Yet, when I think through all the faces, places, and memories from the past two years, this seems like a different life. I watched a movie last night about some people hiking through France and Spain. It really made me miss my life in Marseille. It brought back so many great memories of parties and picnics on the beach, eating great bread and cheese and meeting interesting new people.
It is good to be back though. It's wonderful to see family and hear from friends. It's nice to experience some of the comforts and conveniences I've been missing out on. But I'm just in transition here. I can't really start settling in.
Mostly, I'm just waiting to see the girl I love. She'll be back in the States on Thursday and I'll see her in Alabama next week. After dating long distance for nearly two years, it's hard to think of anything other than just getting to be together. At times, I miss her so much it actually hurts.
Then there will be more change and transition. Meeting her family for the first time in person. Traveling through several states to visit good friends we haven't seen in so long. Introducing her to my family for the first time. Then moving to Portland. New city, new job, new place to live, new friends...everything's changing, but it's all good changes and I'm looking forward to it.
That's it for now. Just a quick update. I might be revamping this blog in the near future. We'll see.
July 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment